The cemetery is located in the northern part of Bydgoszcz, between the streets: Artyleryjska, ZaĹ›wiat, PowstaĹ„cĂłw Warszawy and November Uprising. To the east adjoins the municipal cemetery, where there is a monument and the quarters of soldiers of the Red Army and graves of party and state activists from the communist period. From the north, the Evangelical-Augsburg cemetery adjoins the Nowofarny cemetery, entered in the register of monuments in 1994 under number A / 820 / 1-3. [source: Wikipedia, 1976835]
The cemetery was founded in 1905 as the second cemetery of the parish parish. The initiator of its creation was the rector Ryszard Markwart, and also WĹ‚adysĹ‚aw GogoliĹ„ski, who was the author of the assumptions of green architecture. It was founded on a rectangular plan, with an internal division into 26 rooms. In the center there is a funeral chapel, surrounded by circular and perpendicular alleys in the star system. Until the emergence of further parish and catholic cemeteries in the 1920s, the Newfary cemetery served as the main urban necropolis for Catholics. In its center, the graves of soldiers who died during World War I (1914-1918), graves of Wielkopolska insurgents and graves of soldiers killed in the Polish-Bolshevik war in 1920 were located.
[ Ewa Piechocka: What cemeteries are talking about. [w.] Bydgoski Calendar 1979 ] . In 1930, on the tenth anniversary of the Warsaw battle, the sculptor J. Job funded a monument to the Queen of the Polish Crown, depicting Our Lady and Child. In 2018 he was given a restaurant. During the Nazi occupation, the cemetery served as a center of Polishness. In the old tombs, precious works of art and books were stored, which after the war returned to the museum and private collection. Those who were shot at the Old Market Square whose names were difficult to determine were buried in the cemetery and objects or special signs were buried in a special chest, thanks to which, after the war, the exhumed corpse could be identified. . In 1945, a municipal cemetery was established in the area adjoining to the cemetery from the east. Nearly 1,200 Soviet soldiers killed in the battles for the liberation of Bydgoszcz in January 1945 and over 200 prisoners of war were buried there. . In later years, an obelisk was set up in honor of the fallen Red Army soldiers along with a memorial plaque. In the meritorious avenue, burials of deceased party activists and officers of the state administration of the People's Republic of Poland began (JĂłzef Rakoczy - WRN chairman, JĂłzef Majchrzak - secretary of the Central Committee of the PZPR in the 1970s, Antoni MajdziĹ„ski - secretary of the Communist Party of Poland, Kazimierz MaludziĹ„ski - chairman of the MRN Presidium, Franciszek Lech - MRN chairman, general JĂłzef Kozdra - provincial head of the MO, Henry MrĂłz - judge and JĂłzef Powalisz - pre-war KPP activist). After World War II, the area adjacent to the north to the cemetery, belonging to the Evangelical-Augsburg parish, became the main municipal evangelical cemetery, in connection with the liquidation of a large, historic Evangelical cemetery at ul. JagielloĹ„ska and transform it into a People's Park. In 1971, a new Catholic pastoral center was established for ĹšrĂłdmieĹ›cie, the seat of which was designated a chapel at the Newfine Cemetery. On December 1, 1979, the parish of St. KrzyĹĽa, separated from the parish of Saint. Wincentego Paulo. Faced with difficulties in obtaining permission for the location of a new temple, in the years 1982-1986 the chapel was transformed into a parish church under the direction of Fr. prelate Eugeniusz BareĹ‚kowski. The church was created according to the design of Eng. Jerzy Tomaszewski, and the construction of towers according to Ing. Zbigniew LewiĹ„ski, everyone from Bydgoszcz. The consecration of the temple took place on December 16, 1984, and its consecration on December 16, 1990 by Fr. Cardinal JĂłzef Glemp - Primate of Poland. The church has a usable area of 970 m, and in the eastern block there are catechetical rooms and a presbytery. After 1989, the area designated for burial of civilians was separated in the municipal cemetery, which in 1995 was handed over to the parish parish and now it is part of the Nowofarny cemetery. However, the headquarters of the Soviet Army, separated by a belt of greenery, is still maintained by municipal services [ Eugeniusz GliwiĹ„ski: Soldiers' quarters in Bydgoszcz cemeteries. [w.] Bydgoski Calendar 2000 ] . In the 90s of the twentieth century, the revitalization of old tombstones of meritorious people for Bydgoszcz and the region began. These works are supported by funds collected by the society of Bydgoszcz during the Day of the Dead. In 2018, the fund was to finance, among others renovation of a brick cemetery gate with wrought iron gates and 2 wickets entered in the register of monuments. [source: Wikipedia, 1976835]
The cemetery has dimensions: 330 Ă— 245 m and area 7.94 ha (together with the communal part 11.9 ha). The burial area is divided into 28 fields. In the central point there is the parish church of Saint. Cross. There are 76 tombstones from the first half of the twentieth century, 88 graves and 6 tombstones from the first half of the twentieth century and 2480 free-standing tombstones from the second half of the twentieth century. The oldest, existing tombstone comes from 1906. Soldiers' quarters World War I. It is located along ul. Artyleryjskiej and has only a lawn and a memorial plaque with the engraved information: The grave of soldiers who died during World War I 1914-1918
. Soldiers' lodgings in the Bolshevik War in 1920. It is located on the south side of the church of St. Cross and is separated from the cemetery by a green belt. Six Greater Poland insurgents from 1919 and 220 participants of the Polish-Bolshevik war from 1920 were buried here, as the lastry plaque informs. In the place where the corpses of Greater Poland insurgents are buried, stands the statue of the Mother of God with the Child - Queen of the Polish Crown . The Soldier's Room of the Polish Army from 1945. It is located on the west side of the cemetery, next to the grave of soldiers from the First World War. On its border along ul. Artillery grows hedge, and from the cemetery a green belt. There are 35 common graves that hold a total of 129 soldiers who died as a result of wounds inflicted during the battles for Bydgoszcz and several graves of soldiers who died later . Soldiers of the Soviet Army. It is located in the eastern part of the cemetery in the area maintained by communal services, separated from the civilian part by a green belt. In the middle of the site there is an obelisk in honor of the fallen together with a memorial plaque with inscriptions in Polish and Russian. The lodge was founded on March 13, 1946, and the exhumation from various towns lasted until 1947 [ Rajmund Kuchma: A small encyclopedia of Bydgoszcz - part of the entry C. [in:] Kalendarz Bydgoski 1993 ] . There are 1545 graves of soldiers who died during the liberation of Bydgoszcz and during fights in its vicinity. The tombs are marked with obelisks with a red star and grave information plates with the name and town where the exhumed corpse of the soldier come from . 552 graves have name plates . Municipal part. In January 1969, a communal part was opened, intended for the burial of distinguished activists and members of the PZPR . From 1970, dozens of people rested here - secretaries of PZPR, employees of the presidencies of the Provincial and Municipal National Council, military commanders, MO and SB officers, but also ordinary citizens who did not want to have a religious burial. Currently, it is a fragment of the cemetery with a separate entrance from ul. Artillery. [source: Wikipedia, 1976835]