choose language



cemetery: Pow±zki, Warszawa
photography: Jacek Michiej

Stary cmentarz żydowski w Sanoku

Edit the description of the cemetery
add photos
A beautiful cemetery
The number of internauts who recognized this cemetery as one of the most beautiful Polish cemeteries is 0.

If you also think that it is one of the most beautiful Polish cemeteries, select the Beautiful cemetery button and cast your vote.

The ranking of Polish cemeteries according to the number of votes is presented in the section Polish cemeteries.
Check the option below if you think that this cemetery is one of the most beautiful Polish cemeteries.

Your vote will influence the position of the cemetery in the ranking of the most beautiful Polish cemeteries presented on the website.


Return to the main page
Old Jewish cemetery in Sanok, also known as Okopisko - a non-existent Jewish community Jewish cemetery once inhabiting Sanok. Tradition says that the oldest burials in this place came from the fourteenth century. Originally it was located outside the city limits (in accordance with Jewish tradition). The records about the cemetery come from 1720 (it may have been an enlargement of an existing cemetery from the Middle Ages). The use ceased even before World War II. In the Sanok tradition and the literature, the cemetery is still referred to as Okopisko. The object had many antique matzevot and grave stables, which are tombstones vertical with bas-reliefs and inscriptions. At the beginning of the 20th century, the cemetery was no longer open for burial purposes (the 1905 application for the construction of a pre-burial house in the new cemetery proves this). From 1867, the cemetery area was located at Lwowska Street, along a steep uphill road. Later the artery was renamed Jagiellońska Street. The cemetery was no longer buried during the Second Polish Republic. During the Second World War, executions carried out by the Germans took place in Okopisko. The description of the events of leading Jews by Ukrainian soldiers from the SS Galizien division to the executions taking place in this place was published by Kalman Segal in the historical story Death of the Archivist. At that time, the cemetery, according to some accounts, was to be destroyed. According to the story of Jacob Gurfein, who survived the Holocaust (2006), the Germans did not destroy the tombstones of the old kirkut during the occupation of Sanok and they were to survive the war Vintage sanockie. Vol. XI, 2014 p. 52. . After the war, this area was fenced with a fence made of planks. Stefan Stefanski and Edward Zając dealing with the history of Sanok pointed out that some of the matzevot were used in the reconstruction of Jagiellońska and Tadeusz Kościuszko Streets (they were to be crushed and used during the work of hardening their surfaces). At the end of the 1940s, the area was rebuilt as part of a social act. [source: Wikipedia, 2213573]
type of the cemeteryreligious
state of the cemeteryclosed
[source: Wikipedia, 2213573]
the area where services are available
area where services are not available
Present day
In 1957 and 1967, advanced earthworks were carried out in the area of the cemetery with the participation of workers and excavators. A note from this event was to be prepared by Stefan Stefański. The layout of most graves was then considered illegible due to their destruction during earthworks. Only a small number of graves on the outskirts in the north-western corner of the necropolis have survived. The graves were located on the northwest axis of NNW - SEZ south-southeast . When planting the area in 1950, several dozen padlocks were found in the ground (according to findings, they were left to people who died on the lips in the belief that they would not tell in the other world what was happening on Earth). Two preserved gravestones were also found, which were transferred to the Museum in Sanok. In 1951, with the consent of the Jewish population, the Presidium of the Municipal National Council established a square on the site of the former cemetery. In the 1960s, on the upper part of the former cemetery, a building was erected where the restaurant WSS Karpacka was operating, and the remaining area was a square in the form of a green area at Jagiellońska Street, where vegetation is cultivated. The cemetery was finally liquidated in 1967. In the area of greenery, sculptures were made as diploma theses of students of the Academy of Fine Arts in Krakow: in 1975 and at the beginning of the 1980s, six objects. [source: Wikipedia, 2213573]
The Sanocki poet Roman Bańkowski wrote a poem entitled Above the tomb, referring to the holocaust, published in the volume of poetry entitled They were among us - others from 2000. [source: Wikipedia, 2213573]
The service operator is
Erkwadrat sp. z o.o.
ul. Letnia 16
05-510 Chyliczki
+48 (22) 350 75 61
Transaction settlements
by payment card and e-transfer
are carried out through