choose language

english

Close

cemetery: Powązki, Warszawa
photography: Jacek Michiej
Cieszyn

Nowy cmentarz żydowski w Cieszynie

Edit the description of the cemetery
add photos
A beautiful cemetery
The number of internauts who recognized this cemetery as one of the most beautiful Polish cemeteries is 0.

If you also think that it is one of the most beautiful Polish cemeteries, select the Beautiful cemetery button and cast your vote.

The ranking of Polish cemeteries according to the number of votes is presented in the section Polish cemeteries.
Check the option below if you think that this cemetery is one of the most beautiful Polish cemeteries.

Your vote will influence the position of the cemetery in the ranking of the most beautiful Polish cemeteries presented on the website.

Close

Return to the main page
The New Jewish Cemetery at HaĹźlaska Street in Cieszyn is one of two (next to the Old Jewish Cemetery) Israeli necropolis in the city. [source: Wikipedia, 437383]
confessionJudaism
type of the cemeteryreligious
state of the cemeteryclosed
[source: Wikipedia, 437383]
Poland
the area where services are available
area where services are not available
History
Establishment of the cemetery. The rise of the cemetery was related to the lack of burial places in the old Jewish cemetery. In 1898, the Jewish kehilla purchased from Andrzej Folwarczne a piece of land located above the older necropolis and applied to the city authorities for permission to install a new cemetery, which it obtained in 1900. However, protests by local residents caused the suspension of its implementation by the Austro-Hungarian Ministry of the Interior in 1902 and only after the municipality appealed to the Supreme Administrative Court in Vienna, the authorities withdrew their reservations. In 1906, the construction of the cemetery began, which was completed in the middle of the next year. The founding of the cemetery is connected with the person of the president of the Jewish community - Joseph Philipp Glesinger (died in 1909), who was also one of the first people buried there. The Glesinger Tomb, which was made by the stonemasonry company Theodora Becke from Moravian Ostrava, is still standing today, and the tombstone with a beautiful relief depicting the mountain landscape with the setting sun was made by Otto Jarl (1856-1915), an excellent Swedish artist living in Vienna. The plan of the cemetery and pre-burial house was made by the Cieszyn builder Alojzy Jedek, but the project of the pre-burial house architect Jakob Gartner from Vienna was finally adopted. The pre-burial house was built in the central part of the cemetery, while on the south end of the cemetery there was a building of the cemetery chancellery and a morgue. The cemetery with an area of 1.14 hectares was fenced, and in the front part a wall was built with an impressive gate decorated with the stars of David. Thus prepared, the cemetery was opened on June 25, 1907, and from that time on it became the main necropolis of the Cieszyn religious community, although sporadic burials were also held at the Old Cemetery. In 1913, the commune bought a piece of land adjacent to the plot for the future extension of the cemetery. During World War II. At the beginning of September 1939, the cemetery was closed by the occupying German authorities, and in 1941 confiscated in favor of the Third Reich. In March 1943, an order was issued to transform Cieszyn cemeteries into parks, because after the "resettlement" of local Jews they would no longer be used. Until the end of the war, however, nothing was done on this matter and the Jewish cemetery survived the occupation in good condition. After war. After the war, the cemetery was under the care of the Congregation of the Mosaic Confession in Cieszyn, and from 1966 the Congregation in Bielsko-Biała. Only a few people were buried here, and the last burial took place in 1961 (Edward Weber). There was a rapid devastation of the cemetery - numerous marble and granite obelisks were massively stolen and transformed into new Christian tombstones or used as building material in the surrounding settlements. In 1974, the Katowice voivode issued a decision to close the cemetery for burial purposes, and in 1986 the cemetery was entered into the register of monuments. After 1989, the Jewish Religious Community in Bielsko-Biała is trying to preserve its purity and make necessary repairs at the cemetery. In the years 1997-1999, from the funds of Edward J. Phillips - an American Jew from Minneapolis in the USA and Tadeusz J. Dorda - an evangelist from Cieszyn living in California, the cemetery was cleaned up and the entrance gate renovated. Unfortunately, the funeral home was in a condition that made it impossible to return to the original appearance, which is why only the front wall of the building was left as the so-called. "permanent ruin". Currently, about 100 gravestones have been preserved in the area of 0.75 ha. File: The gate of the new Jewish cemetery in Cieszyn.JPG [source: Wikipedia, 437383]
The service operator is
Respekto sp. z o.o.
ul. Letnia 16
05-510 Chyliczki
123-141-6623
+48 (22) 350 75 61
kontakt@pamietam.pl
facebook/pamietam
Transaction settlements
by payment card and e-transfer
are carried out through
dotpay.pl