War Cemetery No. 115 - Rzepiennik Marciszewski - a cemetery from World War I, located in the village of Rzepiennik Marciszewski, in the Gromnik commune, the TarnĂłw poviat, the MaĹopolska province. One of over 400 Western-Galician war cemeteries built by the Cemetery Graves Division of the C. and K. Military Commanders in Krakow. In the 4th district of ĹuĹźna, there are 27 cemeteries . [source: Wikipedia, 3588052]
The cemetery is located on the left side of the Rzepianka stream . It is difficult to access, because it is located in the woods among fields and there is no road or path or directional sign. It is located on two narrow ridges between two streams of torrents, which just below the cemetery connect into one trough. The easiest way to reach it is via a side asphalt road from the main road through Rzepiennik Marciszewski, with a building with the inscription "Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses" visible from it. The last section leads through an uncut meadow, opposite a lonely farm, where the access road goes . It is easier to find the cemetery in spring and autumn, when the trees do not have leaves yet. [source: Wikipedia, 3588052]
Description of the cemetery
The preserved documentation shows that its shape was adapted to the terrain. It was V-shaped, with the ends of the downhill slope. All its elements (fence, wicket, monumental cross and crosses on graves) were made of wood . 151 soldiers were buried here, including : * 78 soldiers of the Russian army, * 69 soldiers of the Austro-Hungarian army, * 4 soldiers of the German army. The soldiers died in December 1914 and on May 2-5, 1915, during the offensive of the Austrian-Hungarian and German allied forces, called the battle near Gorlice. Everyone was buried in individual graves. Of the known names is 40 .
War cemetery number 115 File: War Cemetery No. 115 - Rzepiennik Marciszewski 3.jpg [source: Wikipedia, 3588052]
The fate of the cemetery
In 1915, after winning the battle at Gorlice and driving the Russians further east, the Austro-Hungarian monarchy proceeded to the construction of cemeteries. After World War II, unfortunately, cemeteries from the First World War were not cared for . Cemetery No. 115 was subject to spontaneous destruction by natural factors. The woody elements decayed and now there is no trace of them. The uninhabited cemetery was completely overgrown with trees and shrubs. Only two concrete pillars with "HV" inscriptions remained, which were moved below to another place, so that the upper limit of the cemetery can not be determined at present. In 2015, the state of the cemetery is as follows: one of its branches was removed, four earth graves were made and five crosses were placed on them - three iron and two wooden ones. These are new crosses, with a shape completely incompatible with the original crosses. There is no information board for the cemetery and name plates. The cemetery requires a complete renovation - it is necessary to re-create all the elements . [source: Wikipedia, 3588052]