choose language

english

Close

cemetery: Powązki, Warszawa
photography: Jacek Michiej
Łódź

Cmentarz żydowski w Łodzi

Edit the description of the cemetery
add photos
A beautiful cemetery
The number of internauts who recognized this cemetery as one of the most beautiful Polish cemeteries is 0.

If you also think that it is one of the most beautiful Polish cemeteries, select the Beautiful cemetery button and cast your vote.

The ranking of Polish cemeteries according to the number of votes is presented in the section Polish cemeteries.
Check the option below if you think that this cemetery is one of the most beautiful Polish cemeteries.

Your vote will influence the position of the cemetery in the ranking of the most beautiful Polish cemeteries presented on the website.

Close

Return to the main page
Jewish Cemetery in Łódź - a cemetery in Łódź founded in 1892, located in the southern part of Bałuty, on a small hill between the streets Bracka, Zagajnikowa, Zmienna and Inflanka; the largest Jewish necropolis in Poland in terms of area (42 ha, over 230,000 buried, of which about 45,000 are the graves of the dead and murdered during the operation of the Łódź ghetto). At the time of its founding, it was the largest Jewish cemetery in Europe, currently the largest is the Berlin cemetery. [source: Wikipedia, 165874]
confessionJudaism
type of the cemeteryreligious
state of the cemeteryactive
[source: Wikipedia, 165874]
Poland
the area where services are available
area where services are not available
History
Jewish cemeteries always consist of two parts: pre-funeral and burial. In the pre-funeral, the corpses are prepared for burial, including ritual washing of bodies with water (a metal table for washing male corpses at the Lodz cemetery) and curling them into a white shroud. Preparation of male corpses takes place on the right side of the pre-funeral house, and women's on the left. Only such prepared corpses are moved to the burial part called the eternal home (the house of life or a good place) through the inner gate. Terms related to the word death are avoided. Since the funeral part is not sanctified, it also fulfills the role of the economic part of a given cemetery. Until the end of World War I. At the end of the 19th century, the first Jewish cemetery in Łódź at ul. Wesołej (now called the old) has completely filled his intended area. The need arose to build a new one, and in 1891 Izrael Poznański bought more than 10 hectares of land separated from the estates of Marysin and Arturówek from Juliusz Heinzl. On August 5, 1892, the guberniary authorities agreed to the location of the new cemetery, which was approved by the Governor General on September 4, 1892. On November 10, 1892, the Synagogue Supervision Board informed the mayor that the old cemetery had been closed and a new one was opened at ul. Bracka. In April 1898, the biggest pre-burial house in Poland was opened (building area 850 m) erected according to the design of Adolf Zeligson, on the initiative of Mina Konstadt - widow of Herman - who donated 18 thousand for this purpose. rubles. Interwar period. In the interwar period, the street leading to the cemetery gate was called Cmentarna. The current name - Chrysanthemum, received in 1961. In 2008, its part from ul. Bracka to the cemetery gate received the name of Abram Cytryna. The period of the German occupation, 1939-1945. During World War II, the cemetery was within the ghetto. The remainder of this tragic period is the so-called the ghetto field, the place of mass burials of ghetto prisoners and many other separate graves from this period. In total, over 45,000 were buried in this field. people. The modern period. In 1956, a small monument dedicated to the victims of the Lodz ghetto and extermination camps, in the shape of an obelisk, a candlestick and a broken oak tree stood in the pre-cemetery section. In 1980, the cemetery was entered into the register of monuments. In 1984, the Social Committee for the Care of the Jewish Cemetery in Łódź was established. Since the 90s of the twentieth century, there has been noticeable intensification of actions to save the necropolis, including the Ghetto Field was cleaned up, the historic mosaic of the inner dome of the Poznański's tomb was restored, and the pre-burial house was renovated. Actively, from the turn of the eighties and nineties of the 20th century, the Nissenbaum Family Foundation cooperates in the renovation of the cemetery. In 2015, the cemetery was recognized as a monument of history. [source: Wikipedia, 165874]
The service operator is
Respekto sp. z o.o.
ul. Letnia 16
05-510 Chyliczki
123-141-6623
+48 (22) 350 75 61
kontakt@pamietam.pl
facebook/pamietam
Transaction settlements
by payment card and e-transfer
are carried out through
dotpay.pl