choose language

english

Close

cemetery: Powązki, Warszawa
photography: Jacek Michiej
Wrocław

Cmentarz Ducha Świętego we Wrocławiu

Famous burials
Edit the description of the cemetery
add photos
A beautiful cemetery
The number of internauts who recognized this cemetery as one of the most beautiful Polish cemeteries is 0.

If you also think that it is one of the most beautiful Polish cemeteries, select the Beautiful cemetery button and cast your vote.

The ranking of Polish cemeteries according to the number of votes is presented in the section Polish cemeteries.
Check the option below if you think that this cemetery is one of the most beautiful Polish cemeteries.

Your vote will influence the position of the cemetery in the ranking of the most beautiful Polish cemeteries presented on the website.

Close

Return to the main page
Holy Spirit Cemetery - a Roman Catholic cemetery under the management of the parish Holy Spirit in Wroclaw. Opened in 1918, as the St. Henry's Cemetery. The cemetery is located on the current Bardzka street, covering an area of over 8 ha. [source: Wikipedia, 1218030]
confessionRoman catholic
type of the cemeteryreligious
state of the cemeteryactive
[source: Wikipedia, 1218030]
Poland
the area where services are available
area where services are not available
History
The decision to build the cemetery was made in 1917, because the burial sites of the inhabitants of the parish of St. Henry began to exhaust. The location was chosen by the square at the then Strehlener Strasse (ie Strzelińska Street), limited from the south by the tracks of Towarowa Beltway Wrocław, on the opposite side of the street there were Silesia chemical factories, and now there is the Gajowe Hill. The design of the necropolis was made by the well-known Wroclaw architect Theo Effenberger; he divided the cemetery into twelve rectangular and square quarters, one of which was intended for burials, and the other for burials of children. The main entrance of the cemetery from the street side formed two semicircular wickets leading to the main avenue, stretching towards the east, planted with lime trees. The middle part of the main avenue was extended in the form of an oval square, which was the central part of the necropolis. Parallel to the main alley ran two side alleys planted with hornbeams. The intersections of the main and side alleys with cross-aisles have been extended in the form of small square squares. The cemetery was opened in 1918. In 1922, a monument to the victims of the First World War stood on the oval square, consisting of four columns made of artificial stone, crowned with crosses, with the names of fallen parishioners - soldiers killed on the fronts of the war. The heavily damaged monument has survived to this day. At the end of the 1920s, a small chapel and outbuildings by Theo Effenberger stood near the main entrance. Located on the outskirts of the city, the cemetery slowly filled up, although from 1929 it was also used by the parish of the Holy Spirit. In 1933, opposite the cemetery, on the premises of inactive chemical plants, one of the first concentration camps in Germany - KZ Dürrgoy was arranged. Until 1945, the burial surface was not used even in half. At the beginning of 1945, the first devastation of the cemetery took place, defenders of Festung Breslau began to use gravestones to erect barricades. After the cemetery was taken over by the Polish administration, the western part of the cemetery, where German graves were located, was not used and gradually began to deteriorate, and old tombstones began to be used to produce new ones. The cemetery was expanded to the east and the dead began to be buried there. In the 1960s, the city authorities imposed restrictions on the number of burials made, thus wishing to quickly close the necropolis to use the area for the construction of industrial facilities. Similar plans were made in relation to the nearby cemetery at Skowronia Góra, these plans were finally abandoned in the 1970s. In 1978, the cemetery was handed over to the Holy Spirit parish by the decision of the archiepiscopal curia and changed its name. After the takeover of the cemetery by the parish of the Holy Spirit, a funeral chapel was erected. Resurrection of the Lord's project of Tadeusz Zipser, built in part from bricks after the disassembled pre-war chapel. At that time, the oldest part of the cemetery was also unused from 1945. In 1999, the cemetery was enlarged towards the east. At that time, the layout of the cemetery alleys was tidied up; division into regular burial fields was made. The cemetery has a monument commemorating the Katyn massacre. [source: Wikipedia, 1218030]
The service operator is
Erkwadrat sp. z o.o.
ul. Letnia 16
05-510 Chyliczki
123-139-4399
+48 (22) 350 75 61
kontakt@pamietam.pl
facebook/pamietam
Transaction settlements
by payment card and e-transfer
are carried out through
dotpay.pl